A compassionate approach and strong support

There might be times in life when someone you care for may no longer be able to make decisions for themselves.

This could be for a number of reasons such as a degenerative disease or mental illness. If this should happen, you will want to make sure that their interests are taken care of.

In these circumstances advice from a lawyer used to dealing with Court of Protection matters is vital.

If you have Responsibility for Somebody Else’s Affairs

If you wish to take over management of the affairs of a loved one you will need to apply to the Court of Protection to be appointed as a Deputy. Once you have been appointed you will become responsible for decisions relating to matters such as finance, healthcare and property.

JFS can provide support and advice as you make your application. We understand that this may be an upsetting time for you and we will provide all the help we can, not only during the application process but afterwards too. Once you have become a Deputy we can continue to advise you on matters such as: paying for care, accessing state benefits, completing tax returns and submitting an annual report to the Office of the Public Guardian.

The duties of a Deputy can be complex but that’s where you’ll find our expertise invaluable. We take a practical, compassionate approach and will be on hand to answer any questions you may have.

If you have concerns about your ability to manage your own affairs

It is possible to make a Lasting Power of Attorney, which is a legally binding document. This enables you to decide what should happen in the future if you become unable to manage your own affairs. Under a Lasting Power of Attorney you can give instructions regarding your property and finances, and choose who should look after your welfare and your financial affairs in the future.

Our dedicated lawyers can help you set up a Lasting Power of Attorney. We understand that these are sensitive matters and always aim to treat our clients with courtesy and respect. If you would like to speak to a member of our team, please contact us on the number below.